St. Anne Parish was founded in 1909 when the few pioneers attended Mass at St. Joseph's Orphanage near Camp Pike. They were served by pastors who were chaplains to the Sisters at the Orphanage.
The present Church building originally was a honky-tonk called "MONTE-RE INN" When it was sold to the Diocese on September 23, 1935, the deed read the following: "Peter Boerner to Richard J. McCauley, Pastor, St. Anne's Church, for the consideration of $1,256.00." The Church was dedicated by Bishop Morris on November 20, 1938.
The men of the parish removed the bar and bar stools of the building and painted the walls, but, when the sun beamed just right through the windows, the beer posters could still be seen through the paint.
In the beginning, socials were held in the sacristy of the church...meetings and bingos were held in parishioners' homes...all work was done by parishioners in beautifying the church property...outdoor bazaars were held to raise money for a Parish Hall.
Our Pastors were in residence at Catholic High School or St. Joseph's Orphanage, until the late 50's
As Pastor, Fr. William E. Galvin added the vestibule to the church building in 1954.
In 1959 the rectory was purchased by the Diocese, making Fr. James Reynolds the first resident pastor of the parish. After the rectory was purchased, a need was seen for a parish hall. Fr. Reynolds was asked if he would care to purchase a large metal building which was refused by a company who had ordered it. This hall, then a shell of a building, was paneled and remodeled by the parishioners. In 1999 the hall was again remodeled and the vestibule was added. The parish hall was named Mary's Hall.
In 1975 the church was remodeled with Fr. James P. McDonnell serving as pastor. The renovation included a new floor that was installed over the old dance floor.
In June of 1984 an old house was donated by members of the parish, it was moved to the Church grounds by Bob Selig family, where it was gutted and renovated by parishioners. On the Feast of Christ the King, November 25, 1984, it was dedicated as Joachim House by Fr. Edward Simpson, Pastor. This facility is used for small meetings, a nursery and small socials. The parish office was relocated from the rectory to Joachim House in 1991.
In March, 1988, the canopy was built, covering the entrance walkways leading to the vestibule by Arthur Penny.
In June, 1993, Fr. John Marconi was assigned St. Patrick Parish as a second parish under his pastorate. Fr. Marconi was asked to relocate his home to the rectory provided by St. Patrick Parish. As directed by Bishop Andrew J. McDonald, St. Anne's rectory was rented to the Fraternity of St. Peter for their priest. The rectory was sold in 1996.
The building and property adjacent to the church grounds on the north was purchased on October 22, 1993, and remodeled as the parish office and religious education classrooms. The Pastoral Center was called Holy Family Center.
On July 31, 1998 Bishop Andrew J. McDonald assigned Mr. Ronald F. Stager as Pastoral Administrator of St. Anne's Parish, with Msgr. Francis I. Malone as Pastor of St. Anne's and Immaculate Conception Parishes.
In 1998 Msgr. Malone donated the present sacristy cabinets during the renovation of Immaculate Conception Church. The St. Anne's sacristy area and new Reconciliation Room were done during the remodeling.
In 2002 the church was painted, under the guidance of Pastor, Fr. James P. West, and Mr. Stager, Pastoral Administrator. At this time our new Stations of the Cross were placed on the walls, and pews rearranged restoring to the original “middle aisle.”
On December 14, 2002, Mr. Ron Stager was ordained to the Diaconate and served his first Mass as Deacon on Sunday, December 15, 2002. Deacon Ron was assigned by Bishop Sartain to serve here at St. Anne Parish and to remain as Pastoral Administrator.
In 2001 renovation of Mary's Hall was renovated, with expansion of the kitchen area and addition of a vestibule.
In 2002 a Mass in Spanish was added on Saturdays which was celebrated by Fr. Salvador Marquez Muñoz and Fr. John Antony, Pastor. Later Vicentian Priest Fr. Dan Borlik, CM and Fr. Tom Stehlik, CM assisted in the celebration of Mass in Spanish, when Fr. Salvador was made Pastor of St. Barbara in De Queen.
In 2003-2004 St. Anne’s Men’s Association built the outdoor pavilion and dedicated it in honor of their deceased member Barney Strassel.
On June 29, 2005 Bishop Sartain named Pastor Fr. Tom Stehlik to be assisted by Fr. Carlos Lozada, CM, Fr. Jim Ward, CM, and Dc. Arnold Hernandez, CM
In Oct. 2006, the Secretary’s office was moved to the front of the Holy Family Center, and the Library/Meeting Room was renovated in the back of the building. Repaired drainage problem behind Mary’s Hall.
In March 2007, the driveway entrance was enlarged, new drainage pipes were laid, and a new concrete driveway pad was poured. Also added to the church grounds, a new Sprinkler system which extends around the church, around Mary’s Hall, and Joachim House. Father Ariel and Father Mike were assigned to St. Anne.
Another major Renovation of the Church took place in January 2016 under the direction of Jerry Guzman, a parishioner and owner of a local construction company. This extensive remodeling included new electrical wiring, lighting, foundation, support for the new flooring, replacing the dark paneling, with modern walls. Which include the beautiful alcove Money for this was raised from contributions and the 2015 international food festival.
Today Saint Anne has 346 Registered Families, 1012 members and continues to grow in number and diversity.